Sunday, June 17, 2012

The First One!

Woohoo! I'm a blogger now! Yay! Or something.

I've decided that the other "sooper seekret" blog I keep isn't really the place for some of my opinions. You see, I have regular readers there who are far more extreme politically than I am and I'm afraid that even the smallest statement of opinion that didn't match lock-step with theirs would unleash a hail of poo flinging and name calling that I have little patience for. This is especially true considering we've offered advise, suggestions, and support to one another during various personal episodes over the past many years.

So, for more public consumption than my personal travails at work and in love, I am starting "Snark from the Edge". If you disagree with me that's fine, keep it civil is all I ask. Name calling and douchebaggery will be met with scorn, criticism, and possible loss of self-esteem (yours, not mine). The first person to fall foul of Godwin's Law in any discussion wins the "Butt Munch of the Day" award and will keep it until they redeem themselves or someone says something dumber, whichever comes first.



I'm a small "l" libertarian, not a member of the political party of the same name but sharing many of the basic tenets of their platform. I believe in personal responsibility. I believe that that government is far more likely to exacerbate rather than solve most problems. I also think just because the question is asked "should the government be doing this?" does not mean the questioner doesn't believe the thing needs doing. I think the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States enumerates an individual right, and while I favor open carry of my pistol when I am out, will conceal when the occasion arises. There are some behaviors that I find repugnant, reprehensible, extremely silly, and just plain dumb, sometimes all at once. This does not mean I think they should be illegal, just that I am not going to do them and am unlikely to associate with people that do, at least on a regular basis. I think that a great many people that get their sensibilities offended or their feelings hurt by a business should vote with their cash and not patronize that business, rather than try to get a law passed telling that business owner how to run his business. I think that the collective intelligence of juries has decreased significantly since the jury pool was expanded to include everyone with a drivers' license rather than only registered voters, and some very bad case law has been promulgated as a result. Why else would there be a sticker on an iron telling people not to iron clothes while wearing them?

I'm not an idiot, and I'm not perfect. I will make mistakes from time to time. Either mistakes of fact or my own perception of them. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. If I simply have a different opinion than you, we'll just have to live with it. All in all, I seek to entertain, highlight silliness as I see it, and hopefully make a teeny-tiny positive difference in someone's life at some point. That's all I have for now, and there is more to me than I have written here.

No comments: